Monday, August 6, 2007

Los Olivos and Fiesta

This weekend Jaime hosted a group at her home in Los Olivos for Fiesta in Santa Barbara and to tour the Danish town Solvang. What a wonderful weekend! I drove down Thursday and got the official tour of Jaime's home growing up. Her mom, Jaime and I went for a walk up the hill in Los Olivos where the US team for Tour de France trains. There is a gorgeous view of the valley, vineyards, and ranches. It was so nice to be away from traffic and the hustle and bustle of LA.

We hiked around Michael Jackson's place on Friday morning. Since Mikey is wanted for tax evasion, I didn't think he'd be there, but his front gate is about all you can see of the infamous Neverland Ranch. Later, shopped around Solvang before the rest of the crew drove in, and toured Solvang again. There was a free showing of The Sound of Music in the park that night. We took full advantage to walk around and see Solvang at night with all the white lights outlining the shops, and seeing the stores and listening to Jaime's adventures growing up. Good times.






Saturday morning Jaime made everyone Ableskievers, a Danish round pancake, and waffles and a yummy berry syrup. So good. Had to walk breakfast off and do a little more shopping, where I got my official Ableskiever pan, so expect some Danish goodness this holiday season! Later, we all drove on down to the Mission in Santa Barbara, before heading over to Main Street for Fiesta! All I can say, is shredded beef tacos! No habla espangnol, but I love me some shredded beed tacos! Delish!




Then it was on to my first Rodeo! Yee-Haw! I think I just may have to go to another Rodeo, and perhaps work my way up to getting a hat. The belt buckle is further off than the boots. Let's just take this all in stride, shall we. By the end I was all tuckered out, but that wasn't the end of the night. Jaime took the crew up to the hill we walked up Thurs to star gaze and see the fires in the area that shut down the 154 hwy. We were trying to guess constellations, and no one got the prize for naming 5. There is always next time. We then were mesmermized by this light coming up over a distant hill. We thought the fire was spreading, and fast, like time to evacuate the valley and head for the beach! It turned out to be the waning moon rising just before midnight. That was a trip. Very cool.





After spiritual feasting at Jaime's family ward on Sunday, we topped it off with a Tri-Tip BBQ! Good Eats. Yumm-o! A weekend of great times, good laughs, good food, great places, and even better people! Thank you Jaime and her parents for hosting such a memorable weekend!

No comments: