Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Must Love Dogs

This picture makes me smile. It's more difficult than you think to get two dogs to sit still long enough to get a pic and have them both looking at the camera! These are my girls. My ying and yang. Almost an odd couple, but just so darn cute, don't you think? I sure do. Lady is the black lab mix, and Suzy is the little white dust mop, otherwise known as a Bichon Frise (sounds fru-fru doesn't it). The funny thing is that when I take the girls for walks at the beach, guys think Lady is a cool dog and chicks and children go ga-ga over Suzy. How's that for a sterotype come to life. To be honest I have yet to meet a gal, besides my mom, who loves Lady.


Lady is my baby girl. I got her from a rescue when she was 6 weeks old and 6 lbs. Now she's a healthy 43 with a beautiful black coat with mahagony and brown undertones. She's really quite stunning. She loves to play and she loves toys. This is the pleading "let's play 'cause everyone wants to play alla the time" look you get when she brings a toy over to you to play. She'll even plop a sloobery toy in your lap ("thanks Lady"), Her favorite game is tug-o-war, but I have perfected the two toy trick to get her to drop one and toss the other. She is strong and will not tire of tug-o-war.

Lady doesn't know how to control her emotions. She gets so uber excited when anyone she loves comes home. So excited that she really doesn't bark, its more of a high pitched squeal mixed with hyper-ventalaling, and lots of jumping. This is what usually intimidates people, but she just gets so attached to people. I am working hard with her to control her emotions, and she is getting better. She also does this hilarious yawn/grunt when she is board or you want her to do something she doesn't want to do--kind of like a teenager. Its hilarious. She has such personality. Lady is a big scardy-cat though. She tucks tail when there is a dog around that is bigger than her, and she HATES water! My mom didn't believe me, so we walked down the Manhattan Beach peir. Before we got half way, Lady totally starts hyper-ventalating. The closer we get to being over the water, she literally stands on her hind legs and starts hopping the other direction (she wears this harness, and standing I guess makes her feel she is getting further away).

She's so cute in her quiet times when she just wants some cuddles. She is such a sweetheart.

This little one actually found me. She may be the fru-fru dog, but she was anything but cute the day I drove home and found her abandoned and roaming the streets. She reeked to high heaven, but I knew I had dog food at home and she was so dirty I wanted to clean her up and maybe someone would claim her. Did I mention she reeked so bad, I just about gagged when I picked her up. But she had those happy, thank you for saving me eyes and she's been my little shadow ever since. Her hair was so long and dread-locked and I thought she was a brown dog at first. I really wish I took pics of her that day, because it took my mom, my two brothers, and I a week to clean her up. Only then did everyone think she was the cutest thing ever. My roommate at the time probably would've given me notice if I thought I was going to keep her right away.

A week went by, and no one claimed her. No tags, no lost posters, nothing. I couldn't get myself to bring her to the pound, and she just was so attached to me that I got attached. Lady eventually warmed to the idea of having to share her space and her toys. They have really become buddies and dont' like to be apart. It took a couple weeks to name her, mostly 'cause I didnt' think I was gonna keep her. After realizing no one was claiming her and there wasn't any way I was gonna give her up, I thought I'd better get a name goin' so she could get used to it. My brother wanted to call her Stinky. Ya, not so much...next. He then came up with Dread, since her tail at the time still looked like a single white dread lock. My mom came up with Little Miss Sunshine, which fit so perfectly (you gotta see the movies if you already haven't...and endure the explatives), but not as a name. First week back to school, and one of the teachers used Suzy Q as an example, and right then I thought PERFECTO! Suzy Q, Suzy for short, it is. What could be more perfect. I mean she was rather unknown and generic for a while since I didn't know if I was gonna keep her and didn't know where she came from.

She is so social, and loves other dogs even the big ones. She also holdes her own and is a little instigator when wrestling Lady. She is a bit of a dirty player, though. She bites ankles. Lady's that is and its funny to watch.

Awe, so cute. My girls and I love 'em. They take care of each other, and Suzy was such a blessing. They keep each other company while I am gone.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I didn't know Lady had a new sister/friend!

Aww, that was such a GREAT story!! Hooray for you for picking Suzy Q up and taking a chance on her.

thefish said...

Suzy was such a blessing! Now Lady has a buddy at all times.

They are so cute.