I love the drive along the PCH from Santa Monica to Sunset Blvd, except when there is an accident or road construction. The views are gorgeous and so serene you forget all of the mundane things like paying bills, working, stress. This is why we pay through the nose to live in So Cal.
Let me back up a bit. My good friend Rebecca and I found this trail about 3 yrs ago. I guess it is a hidden secret around here. Locals will tell you, but then they'd have to kill you. I am not sure how many people lost their lives in our finding out this piece of info, but I can tell you it was worth it. At least for me.
Off Sunset Blvd, up Los Liones until it dead ends there is an LDS Chapel, lucky souls who get to go to church in such a beautiful setting, and across the street there is the trail head. No dogs. No bikes. Warnings of ticks and mountain lions. Funny, I've seen dogs, and bikes on the trail, but no ticks or mountain lions...let's just keep it that way. The trail can take you all the way to this famous windy road that always has trouble with flooding and lots of rich folks, whose name escapes me at this juncture, but that would be 10 miles out and 10 miles back. Ya, haven't done that yet.
The trail is windy and steep. Up and down, but more up than down on the way up. A great balance of cool welcoming shade and hot sun, that is until you reach the main view point where most people who come, its a busy place, stop and head back. Then it is dang steep, the trail relfects the heat it soaks up so quickly in the day, and no shade. Just you and your huffin and a puffin til you reach that "I'm gonna feel this tomorrow" view point, and head back.
The harder it gets to go up, the better the views get. Kind of all parable like. You know, the harder you work for something, the more worth it it will be. Got me thinking about that and the parallels with life and trials. Then you get the views. THis side you see Malibu, that side you see Santa Monica, Venice all the way through the South Bay to Palos Verdes Peninsula, where I gave the last 5 years of my teaching. That darn ocean layer has a tendancy to get in the way of the view when you least expect it. I mean it can be a great, spectacular sunny So Cal kinda day, and then you get to the top ready for those contest winning shots, and you can't see the Peninsula. Drats, oh well, I guess I will have to come back soon. Play the odds. I almost feel like a gambler, but not really.
This is the kind of trail that lets you see such gorgeous coastline, gets you away from all the hustle and bustle of LA in fact you kinda forget all the craziness, and you get a flippin good workout all at the same time. And you wonder why I love this place so much. It is the place I have taken friends, potential mates, and the place I dream about sharing with my best friend and the love of my life. It is the place I hope to be just like all the old folks I see with their walking sticks in each hand, their oversized floppy hats, and their "my body don't work like it used to" pace.
Ya, definitely one of my number one's.
On the way back my feet were burning, I could feel some possible blistering, not something I got when I would go regularly. I think the trail missed me, and this was its way of saying, "Hey, don't stay away so long. Okay,"
There's the LDS chaple, just above the rt leaf.
The first major view spot, and the last of the shade.
A close of the chapel roof, further up.
Pictures just don't do it justice, and the marine layer isn't helping.
Did I mention it was steep? Ya. no shade.
Some people go that way.
Another diluted view. I promise it is worth it. You can't really tell what your picture looks like in the mid-day sun. I was rather disappointed with this shot. High hopes.
This is all the shade your gonna get.
Finally, on the way down.
If you miss this on the way down, a long trail just got longer.
Ahhh. Dusty, dirty, sweaty and feeling oh so good to get back in my flip flops.You gotta bag those dusty shoes, and I promise you will have shoes just for this hike.
No comments:
Post a Comment